Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Question on how many allowances to claim on W4

Question
Hello John,

Me and my wife are curious to see how many allowances we should claim on our W4.  We both work and plan to file our taxes jointly.  We also have one child in daycare.  My wife makes twice as much as I do.  

As of now, my wife claimed one on her form, and I claimed one.  For both of us that would equal two.  At one time we were both were claiming two which would be a total of 4, but we had heard from several people that it was too much and we may have to end up paying come tax time.

I wanted to ask an expert to see what a conservative amount would be for us to claim and if one of us should claim more.  This can be so we can maximize our checks, but at least get a refund and not end up owing the IRS money. We also plan on having another kid, so when that happens, how much do we increase our claim?  Thanks so much for your help.

Answer
Nick,

Thanks for your question.  There is no easy answer, trial and error works best.

Having said that, I would stick with 2 withholding allowances between the two of you. This assumes that you have minimal income not subject to withholding and either take the standard deduction or do not have an extremely large amount of itemized deductions.  

When you have a second child, if you have been close to break-even, you might choose to add one more withholding allowance.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA