You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/U.S. Gift tax & Estate Tax


If my parents, who are not U.S. Citizens, nor U.S. Residents,
decide to gift me money.
And their money, has nothing to do with U.S. Business or
Thus, they should not be, U.S. GIFT TAX NOR U.S. ESTATE TAX, LIABLE,as the donors!!
I however, am a U.S. Citizen. But would also be, the Beneficiary of the gift.
Therefore, isn't the gift from my non U.S. Citizen parents, a U.S. Gift tax free & I, as the beneficiary, have nothing to pay either?
And not even have to file a Return on receiving the gift?
Nor pay Income Tax on receiving the gift?

Hi Dean,

If the donor is a “foreign person” (as you have mentioned), cash gifts from parents are not taxable, however if the gift is non-cash, it may be taxable if it is U.S.-based property.

A gift from a “foreign person” does need to be disclosed on the Form 3520 to the IRS if it exceeds certain thresholds.

Please review this Foreign Gift Tax article that I have written that explains the "ins" and "outs" of gifts from a "foreign person".

If you have additional questions about reading the article, please don't hesitate to let me know. If you find the article of value, please click on the "Google Plus One" icon.

Best regards,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.