Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/W4


I am recently divorced.I have two children who live with me and am their only means of support.  I receive no help from my ex.  Should I be changing my status to single with two dependents?  Will they be taking out more taxes?

Any help is much appreciated!!

you should change to properly match your status.

does he owe you support and does not pay? or just won the lottery in the divorce lotto?

what state?  do you provide their medical insurance via work? or the new state subsidized programs?

much more into the equation - do you have a house (with prop tax and interest?)

how old are children?   (assume minors)

what is approximate income?  what is year to date income and tax paid (fed and state) look at your october 31 pay stub.  

do you have childcare costs?  to a legal above board provider?  

make a new question and mark it private if you want.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.