Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/W4

Question
I am recently divorced.I have two children who live with me and am their only means of support.  I receive no help from my ex.  Should I be changing my status to single with two dependents?  Will they be taking out more taxes?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Answer
you should change to properly match your status.

does he owe you support and does not pay? or just won the lottery in the divorce lotto?

what state?  do you provide their medical insurance via work? or the new state subsidized programs?

much more into the equation - do you have a house (with prop tax and interest?)

how old are children?   (assume minors)

what is approximate income?  what is year to date income and tax paid (fed and state) look at your october 31 pay stub.  

do you have childcare costs?  to a legal above board provider?  

make a new question and mark it private if you want.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa