Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Corporate Tax Question

Question
We own a construction company that is set up as a C Corporation. There were 2 shareholders in the company (my husband and his sister). This past year the company bought back his sister's shares. My question is should that amount of money be reported on a 1099 of some type. I know as far as the corporation goes it will be treasury stock but not sure how to report money paid to sister or if it needs to be reported.

Thank you in advance

Answer
Elly,

Thanks for your question.

There are no reporting requirements in this case.  Normally, a 1099-B would be required, but the rules only require a broker to issue that form.  Since the corporation is not a broker, it does not have to file this, or any other, form with the IRS in regard to the buyback.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA