Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/per diem

Question
Dear Tax experts,

My significant other has finally agreed to have a "tax Professional" rather than a relative file his forms this year; however he has been working for the entire year in ND same relative area, but for another company first 6 months of the year and now his extended family.  They have both been paying him a daily per diem of around $100, just as a lump sum listed on a separate line on his check with no taxes withheld and no responsibility to report his expenses.  Is this in fact "nontaxable"?  Also the first company paid him an additional check each week with $40/day extra for having his own vehicle to use............. he carries a lax attitude on whether this is all taxable or traceable income.  The rules for accountable plans are confusing at best.  My worry is also on the few occasional weekends he has traveled home during the year, they have continued to pay out part of his wages as a per diem even though he was back home.......... what sort of issues does this create, is all of this taxable.....now that he has worked in ND for the whole year?  I fear this is not correct and there may be repercussions to follow.... thankfully we file separately and are not yet married.....

Answer
Sandy,

Thanks for your question.

The rules for an accountable plan are quite simple.  It boils down to an employee incurs expenses, the employee submits receipts or mileage records for those expenses, and is reimbursed by the employer for that amount.  The employee must report the expenses within 60 days. Such reimbursements are not taxable.

Anything not meeting this criteria is a non-accountable plan and is taxable income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA