Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gain on "flip"

Question
My partners & I formed an LLC to purchase, rehab & sell a property.  It took over a year (from purchase date) to "cash out", although some renovation costs were incurred within one year.  There were also carrying costs.  I am confused as to whether this is reported on Schedule D, or form 4797. Is a 1099B required to report on Schedule D?  Also, can I just add the rehab costs to the basis to determine the gain.  Using 4797. there would be multiple sales as each component of the renovation would in fact be another acquisition.  Also, there should not be depreciation as it is not a rental property.

Thanks,
Steve

Answer
Steve,

Thanks for your question.

Someone who is in the business of flipping houses – buying houses, fixing them up, and then selling them for short-term gain - is considered to be a dealer by the IRS.  The dealer holds real estate in the ordinary course of business and anticipates a very quick turnover and profit.

The real estate dealer is taxed very differently from the investor.  The dealer may be taxed at individual income tax rates up to 35% and may also be subject to 15.3% self employment taxes.  Dealers cannot transfer property through a 1031 (like-kind) exchange, cannot use the installment sale method, and cannot take deductions for depreciation.  Regardless of how long the property is help, it is considered inventory, not subject to capital gain treatment.

This would all be reported on Schedule C and you would include the costs of purchasing, maintaining, and repairing the house.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA