Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/IRA distribution

Question
John,

Regarding an IRA distribution for someone under 59 1/2:

1. Will the IRS automatically withhold federal income or do they have the option to not withhold? If so, what is the percentage?

2. If the person as described above takes the money out of the IRA, but puts it back within 60 days will they be subject to tax?

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

Thanks for your question.

When you complete the withdrawal form, you can indicate the amount of tax you wish to have withheld.  The default is 10% if you don't specify.  However, the 10% would only cover the penalty amount and not any regular income tax.

If you replace the funds within 60 days of withdrawal, it will be treated as a rollover and not subject to tax.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA