Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Retirement Withholding for Minister

Question
QUESTION: In preparation of W2's, etc. coming up, I'm not sure what to do for the following:  We are a non profit church and for one of our ministers we withheld retirement from his salary.  We have never finalized the fund into which the contributions will go, so thus far we have only withheld and not paid into anything.  On our other ministers (we pay into their plans monthly) I include this amount on their W2's in box 12. What do I do for this one?
Thank you

ANSWER: Chris,

Thanks for your question.

Treat it just like all the others.  However, you should proceed with all due haste to invest those funds into a qualified retirement plan, even if it is just into a money market account.  Not having the funds invested by the end of the year could have some adverse consequences down the road.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Yes, this helps.  I do have another question, you mention adverse consequences down the road - what would those be?
Chris

Answer
You have withheld the funds and reported them as such on his W-2.  If the funds are not invested during the tax year, it could cause problems if the IRS made an inquiry.  It could also affect the amount he could contribute for the new year, in the event he was maxing out or close to maxing out his contribution for that year.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA