Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/roth ira distribution

Question
hi john, i opened a roth ira in dec 22, 2010.  i am 83 years old and work part time so i can make earned contribution.  i read that in order to withdraw money of the gain tax free i need to be 59 1/2 and hold account for 5 years.  well, i meet the age requirement. however, i still need to wait for 5 years account since i setup the account.  my question is as follow:  will the five years will be met on 12/22/2105 or can i withdraw after 12/22/2014 if we count 2010 as a full year?  in other words, can you tell me from irs perpective when my account will complete the 5 years if i opened it in 12/22/2010?  thanks

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

The five-year period begins on the first day of the tax year in which you make a contribution.  Therefore, the five-years began for you on 1/1/2010. So you can withdraw funds after 1/1/2015.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA