Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/how to run payroll, pay payroll taxes

Question
Hello Mr. Stancil,

Thank you for your time! I keep the books for my wife's new physical therapy business. She has hired an employee. All of the forms for this hire are filled out with federal and state. What I need to know now is how to deduct the appropriate taxes from his pay check.

I need to know how to calculate these deductions. I know there are companies out there that will run payroll for you, but to me it seems like I should be able to learn how to do this myself and save my wife's business some money. Can you recommend some book or website that will address this question specifically?

Thank you very much,
Stu Chuang Matthews
Office Manager
Alive Physical Therapy, PC
Nevada City, CA

Answer
Stuart,

Thanks for your question.

Just get a copy of Circular E from the IRS. It has withholding tables and instructions.  You will also need to get a set of withholding tables from the California Franchise Tax Board for state withholding.

If you do no already have them you need to apply to the IRS for a Employer Tax ID number and also apply to the state for a state tax number.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA