Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/S-corp question

Question
We started an s-corp this year and have expenses, but won't receive any income until next year, how do we write off this years expenses?

Answer
Linda,

Thanks for your question.

If the expenses can be characterized as start up or organizational expenses, they can be capitalized and amortized over a 180-month period beginning in the month in which the business opened.  Any expenses incurred after the business opened are ordinary business expenses and are deducted in the year incurred.

The topic of organizational and start-up costs is rather lengthy. This link will help explain them.  http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch08.html#en_US_2012_publink1000208937

If the business has not opened for business, there are no costs to deduct, so file a zero return or no return at all. If it has opened, then deduct the expenses and pass the loss on to the owners.  The owners cannot deduct losses in excess of their basis.

A S Corp is a very complex form of organization.  If you are not familiar with the nuts and bolts of S corps, I recommend you employ a CPA or enrolled agent who is familiar with S Corps.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA