Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Write Offs For Unpaid Actors

Question
Are there minimum requirements for one to be considered a working actor? If I made no money this year as an actor (did a lot of unpaid work) but spent a lot on expenses (subscriptions, headshots, etc.) can I write off any of this? Thank you.

Answer
Jenni,

Thanks for your question.

There are no special requirements, if you are filing as a Schedule C business, you must demonstrate that it is a for profit effort, run in a businesslike manner, business cards or other indicators that it is a business, and show a profit three of five years.

If not a business, the only thing to deduct would be job seeking expenses on schedule A as miscellaneous itemized deductions. This, only if you have previously employed in this field.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA