Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 A

Question
We received 1099A with principal balance of 232,000 and fair market value at 246,000.      We bought the house as a primary residence for 245,000.  And the box for personally liable is checked.   We live in AZ.  I am a realtor, so I know the house sold for 187,000 in oct 2012.

What will be our tax consequences and how do we file it?   

Thanks for your help.  

Terri.

Answer
Terri,

Thanks for your question.

Since it was your personal residence, there are no tax consequences at this time.  A 1099-A is not an indication that the debt has been cancelled.  So you don't do anything.

When (and if) you get a 1099-C, you will need to complete Form 982. This is an indication that the debt has been cancelled. On the Form 982, you may indicate that the COD income is excluded from tax because you qualify under one of the exceptions.  If you don't qualify, you will have to report the difference in the cancelled debt and the FMV (as indicated on the 1099-C) of the home on line 21 of the 1040.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA