Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099-A

Question
We received a 1099-A for foreclosed house in CA purchased in 2005 for $367,500 as primary home, non-recourse loan, started renting it shortly after that. Been claiming the rent, repairs, depreciation on schedule E, with passive activity loss limits, about 130K in losses.
1099-A shows
block 2 $275,779
block 4 $135,000
block 5 not checked

My tax man says I need the 1099-C, I talked to BofA they said they will not be issuing one? They said the loan has been written off, my credit report shows foreclosure but $0 bal on the loan.

Do you think I will be receiving a 1099-C in the future? Also can I claim the loss on my taxes?

Thanks

Answer
Patrick,

Thanks for your question.

If they said they are not going to issue a 1099-C, then I would not expect that you would be getting one, even though it is legally required.

You can claim the loss on your taxes, but you need to report the cancelled debt as income.  If you fall under an exception and do not pay tax on the cancelled debt, you would need to reduce your basis by the amount of cancelled debt.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA