Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 B proceeds from a company merger

Question
I owned Eaton stock and the company just completed a merger November 30th. Today I received a 1099 B for $11,600 for the sale of old Eaton stock, which is fully taxable. For every share of the old Eaton Iím entitled a share the new Eaton plus cash for the fractional shares.  The FMV of the old and newly issued stock is $51.90. I figured out my capital gains as $8300 (I do my own taxes). From what Iíve researched this is entered as a straight stock sale and Iím taxed on the gains as if I sold the stock myself. Am I correct in this thinking? Up until this point, I was getting back federal but owed the state and they basically were going to cancel each other out. Now, I will owe fed and state a substantial amount since I didnít anticipate this new income.  Do I have any recourse to lessen my tax hit? And, how would you advice a client in this situation as far as dealing with the tax authorities?

Answer
Bill,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, it is a taxable event, entered as a straight stock sale.  Not sure how you came up with $8,300, as I don't have full information.  You should take the basis in your old stock and subtract that from $11,600 to get your gain.  Of course, if you held the stock over 12 months, it would be a long-term gain taxed at favorable rates.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA