Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099-misc{box 7}

Hello Mr.Stancil,Thank You for You'r time in this matter;I have a couple of questions to ask,about when I was a OTR Trucker{not long..3months} wasn't for me; {1} how much"per day"away from home,can I claim for a credit? {2} have reciepts for fridge,microwave,bluetooth,power inverter,paper towel/windex,tools,ect..ect..going through"taxact"...will they go over this Automatically? or do I have to Know something?? Thanks for You're input; Tim/Florida

Thanks for your question.

The meals and incidental per diem in 2012 was 80% of $59 for each full day out of town.  In addition you can deduct the cost of special clothing and communication devices.  Things like the  microwave and fridge would be personal and not deductible. Other items you mention could be deductible if they were operational expenses for the truck.

You may or may not get audited on it.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University