Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099-Q and 1098-T

Question
I understand that since the 1099-Q is in my daughters name, it is reported on her tax return. My husband and I claim her as a dependant on our tax return and have read that we can report expenses from the 1098-T. Do you not show any expenses on her tax return?  Would that not make her have to pay taxes on the distribution?  The 1099-Q only shows distribution amount.  It is a Coverdell ESA. Her college expenses are about the same as her distribution from 1099-Q.  Since there was actually no expenses out of pocket after the distribution, would we as parents be able to get an education credit?  I'm so confused over all of this.  Thank You!

Answer
Jo,

Thanks for your question.

If the funds from the Coverdell account were spent on qualified educational expenses, the amount of the 1098-Q does not need to be reported on anybody's tax return.

Since it appears that the Coverdell account (and maybe some other stuff) fully covered her qualified education expenses, you do not have any education expenditures against which you can take a credit.  So the answer to the second part of your question is "No."

Bottom line, its pretty simple.  None of this goes on anybody's tax return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA