Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099-Q for State 529 Tuition program

Question
My stepdaughters grandfather setup a 529 state tuition fund for her? She is 19 y/o and paid for Fall 2012 tuition with this.  She did not work in 2012. She did recieve a 1099-Q. My wife and I paid for all other expenses with withdrawal from wife's Roth IRA setup for my daughter's college expenses and savings. Does my daughter need to fill out return just for 1099-Q, or do my wife & I need to claim on our return? Can we claim any of the expenses we paid for (books, meal plan, room/board, etc.)on our 2012 return?

Answer
Dwayne,

Thanks for your question.

If the amount of 529 funds withdrawn do not exceed the amount of tuition and other qualified expenses paid, the 1099-Q does not need to be reported on anyone's return.  Your stepdaughter would not need to file a return.

Assuming you can take the dependency exemption for her, you can take a credit or deduction for any qualified education expenses you paid.  Qualified expenses include tuition, fees, and course materials.  Meals and housing are not included in this definition.

There are basically three option, american opportunity tax credit, the lifetime learning credit, and the tuition and fees deduction. This link gives an overview of each. http://www.1040.com/federal-taxes/credits/education-credits/

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA