Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/2 people claim same children

We are new foster parents. We have had 2 children in our home for 7 months in 2012. DHS told us to claim the children because we provided all financial care and they were in our home for more than 6 months + 1 day. So we did. The boyfriend of the birth mom also claimed them. What will happen with our federal/state filings?

The father was wrong - he did not have the legal right

But you will likely have problems when you file

I would still file and include a letter that explains the situation.   

If you live in a big city, you can even go to a local IRS office to file the return

Be diligent and stick to your guns

Good luck!

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell