Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/car write off

We own two rental properties. We use one vehicle to service both properties. Do we list the car under one of the properties and combine the miles of the two rentals and list that total under the one rental, leaving the second rental with out vehicle? Or do we list the one vehicle under both rentals and separate out the miles? In this case we would be putting the one vehicle into use at two separate times (times of purchasing the rentals)? Wouldn't the vehicle then be depreciating twice?

Thanks for your question.

You must allocate the vehicle cost between the two.  If you are taking actual costs, including depreciation, you would list half the cost for one unit, and half the cost for the other.  

If you are taking mileage, just take the amount of miles allocated to each unit.  If you take mileage, the depreciation is included in the rate, so you don't have to worry about the depreciation.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University