Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Are children of US citizens required to file IRS income tax forms every year

Question
Are children of US citizens required to file IRS income tax forms every year if they were never officially registered as US citizens, have no US based income and have never lived in the United States, but have visited the United States on a Canadian passport. The US State department has no record of them being US citizens.

Answer
Thanks for your question.

All I can say is that the law requires U S citizens to pay U S income tax on their worldwide earnings regardless of source.  Since they are children of U S citizens, they are considered U S citizens.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA