Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Corporate housing overseas

Question
I work as a military contractor and was deployed to Middle east region with the unit I support for 9 months. I am authorized government furnished meals and housing per contract during the deployment. Upon arrival to the country there was no immediate housing on camp for me so I was placed in a company furnished apartment that was typically used for transitioning personnel (Basically the furnished apartment was already in place for years before I stayed in it and many others have also stayed in the apartment with me while transitioning to and from the U.S.) This year the company decided to tax the expense of the apartment and singled out only myself but did not tax other people who have shared the apartment in the past 6 months. My question is...Is this considered taxable income since I had no choice in choosing the housing or who shared it with me during the stay?

Answer
Ricky,

Thanks for your question.

I'll give you a "yes, but" answer.  It is taxable income.  If you qualify for the foreign income exclusion you can also exclude an amount for housing costs.  If you were only there for nine months, though, you would not qualify under the physical presence test which requires a 330 day stay in a 12-month period.

I am not an attorney and can't give legal advice outside the area of tax, but it seems to me that there may be some  discrimination going on it you were singled out on the housing issue.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA