Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Per diem vs actual expenses

Question
Hi John -

I have a team of salespeople and a team of service technicians.  With respect to expense reimbursement, both groups are currently on a per diem plan for meals and for lodging.  I would like to move my sales force to a plan that reimburses actual expenses for both hotels and for lodging.  I would like my service technicians to be reimbursed for actual hotel expenses and per diem for meals.

Questions:

1. Can I have two separate reimbursement plans like this for these separate groups?
2. With respect to the technicians, can the reimbursement plan also be bifurcated like the example above - actuals for lodging, but per diem for meals?
3. Other than Publication 1542, which lists per diem rates, what IRS or other documentation is available for me to keep in my employment file?

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Patrick

Answer
Patrick,

Thanks for your question.

1. You can have two separate plans for the separate groups.
2. You can pay actual lodging and per diem for meals.
3. You need to maintain documentation evidencing that the individuals receiving payments were qualified to receive them, i.e., they were traveling out of town for business purposes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA