Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Education Credit


I recently filed and received my refund. I had $900 student loan interest and my husband had $1700. The tax preparer said he entered this information. I have recently learned that these forms were not turned on when we filed and my preparer did not tell me anything. Should I refile?


I do not know what you mean but "they were not turned on". Student loan interest is deductible but the deduction is phased out after a certain level of income.

If the loan interest was deductible and not entered on the return, then yes file an amended return. You do not "refile"

Take care,  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce W. Tyler, EA


I can answer questions with regard to the following: Preparation/Tax Law regarding Individual Income Tax (IRS and California), Audit Representation/IRS Procedures of personal and corporate income tax including appeals, IRS Collection procedures for individuals, partnerships and corporations, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Penalty Abatement,Income from Cancellation of Debt. Heavy experience with Public Safety (i.e. Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Officers, etc) as well as medical industry.


21 years in tax preparation and representation

National Association of Enrolled Agents

4 years of accounting at Woodbury University/UCLA Extension

©2017 All rights reserved.