You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/employer saying not his problem


My previous employer wont give me my W-2. I called him politely asking him if he sent it off and he said he sent it to an old address(after i told him i was no longer living there and gave him new address he did not put it in file i guess) anyways being as cheap as he is i wouldnt doubt that he just sent a runner to drop off my w-2 to previous household which would be my parents house. which we no longer talk. (so doubt ill get it)also i had all mail to be forwarded to new address so i wouldnt have this problem which leads me to come to the above accusation. so i tell him i still havent recieved it and he is telling me its not his problem.. what can i do its been a month since their deadline to have w-2's sent off and im sitting here waiting on his w-2 so i can file...What can i do? can he really just say its not his problem and not get me a new one? please Help!!

Go there in person and get your W-2. He is required to give it to you. If you gave him an updated address before January, he is required to send it there. Sounds like you don't have a good relationship with many of your past contacts.

If he has already sent one copy out, he may legally charge you to reprint the W-2, but nothing more than a nominal charge for printing.

If he does not comply, you can contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 and tell the employer to expect a phone call or visit from his Uncle.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Klein, MBA, EA


I am an expert in personal and small business taxation, including Forms 1040, 1120, 1120S, 1065. I can answer any type of tax question except those that are requesting help in illegal tax evasion. Tax avoidance is legal, however. I do not do offshore trusts, or opt-out of the tax system type of queries.


25 years real experience in dealing with tax preparation, representation before the IRS, tax problem resolution, and more. Successfully represented clients in Offers in Compromise with more than 95% of all offers accepted.

National Association of Enrolled Agents National Society of Tax Preparers BNI - Business Networking International

Yahoo Answers - recognized as a tax expert.

MBA, Weatherhead School, Case Western Reserve University. BA, Indiana University, Bloomington Enrolled Agent, licensed by US Treasury.

Past/Present Clients
Most of my clients are small business owners

©2017 All rights reserved.