Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Excess contribution to 403b

Question
My wife has a 403b and had an excess contribution ($2250) this past year due to an administrative error. I have contacted the plan administrator (Vanguard) and they are sending a check for the $2250 as well as interest earnings on that amount (around $200). It is my understanding that I add that $2250 to my earnings for the year 2012, and that the $200 interest earnings amount is taxable for 2013. Is that correct? I am using the HR Block tax software, and the program recognized the excess $2250 and added it to earnings. However, her W2 will show the excess amount in box 12. Do I need to do anything else when filing our return to make sure the IRS is aware of the issue? Thanks!

Answer
Dave,

Thanks for your question.

The excess contributions would be additional income, as the original contribution was a pre-tax contribution.  The earnings on the excess contributions are taxable for 2012.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA