Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Federal Tax

In May of this year I will have been living in Germany for 330 consecutive days.  As an independent contractor my income is derived from various companies in the U.S.  After this 330 day period am I eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

Thank You,

Thanks for your question.

Yes you are eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion once you have been present in a foreign country for 330 days in a rolling 12-month period.  For 2012, you will need to file an extension, then file the return once you have met the 330 day requirement.  You will pro-rate the exclusion based on the number of days in 2012 you were physically present in a foreign country.  For example, for 2012 the exclusion was $95,100. If you were physically present in a foreign country for 183 days, your exclusion would be $95,100 x 183/365 or $47.550.

Use Form 2555 and show the amount of the exclusion as a negative number on line 21 of the 1040.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University