Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing Income Tax

I have been doing my own taxes probably for at least 10 years (I'm 32 now), and it is a very stressful time for me. I'm waiting on so many financial institutions and other groups to send me their tax forms, and frankly I worry about starting on my taxes too soon or too late not knowing who hasn't yet sent their input. I find I generally spend an arm and a leg both paying for tax software and running the transaction to have my taxes filed electronically. And being a very low income earner the amount I get back from the government is often times around the same amount that I have to pay to file the taxes in the first place. Is there an easier way? Does the government offer free software? What is the best way to go?

Thanks for your question.

If your income is below $51,000 you may be eligible for free tax prep at a VITA site.

There is also a free file program that you may use if your income is under $57,000.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University