Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing tax

Question
Hi John,

I just recently graduated from college. While I was in college, I had a federal work study position in my university. For the first semester in my freshman year, I worked as a work study for $12/hour  from september 2009 to December 2009. After that work study was over, I had another work study position in my sophmore year at the university. I worked for minimum wage from January 2010- May 2010. As a work study student, I am not allowed to work beyond 20 hours a week. Because I earned income from working, was I suppose to file tax for this even though it is only a work study position? What should I do now that I did not file it on time? Will I get financially penalized by the irs? I am also still a dependent of my parents. I am so nervous about this whole situation.
Thank you in advance.

Answer
Caroline,

Thanks for your question.

Yes it is taxable income and you should have filed if you meet the minimum earning for filing.
In 2009 and 2010 that amount is $5,700.  If you made more than that, you should file a return for each of those years.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA