Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing tax


Hi John,

I just recently graduated from college. While I was in college, I had a federal work study position in my university. For the first semester in my freshman year, I worked as a work study for $12/hour  from september 2009 to December 2009. After that work study was over, I had another work study position in my sophmore year at the university. I worked for minimum wage from January 2010- May 2010. As a work study student, I am not allowed to work beyond 20 hours a week. Because I earned income from working, was I suppose to file tax for this even though it is only a work study position? What should I do now that I did not file it on time? Will I get financially penalized by the irs? I am also still a dependent of my parents. I am so nervous about this whole situation.
Thank you in advance.


Thanks for your question.

Yes it is taxable income and you should have filed if you meet the minimum earning for filing.
In 2009 and 2010 that amount is $5,700.  If you made more than that, you should file a return for each of those years.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.