Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Foriegn Earned Income/contractor/partial 330 day

Question
I have been working as a contractor or employee overseas for the last 5 years.  Sometimes the full 330days to qualify for the Foreign Earned Income exclusion, sometimes for less than the 330days to enjoy an extended unpaid holiday.  In 2012 I left Afghanistan after 300 days because I have been called to active duty military (non foreign country).  Can I claim partial credit to the 330 day rule as 100% of my civilian income has come from the foreign employment?  - would not meet the 330 day rolling calendar option for 2012...

Answer
Matthew,

Thanks for your question.

If you do not meet the 330 day requirement, you cannot take the foreign earned income exclusion or credit.

However, you may be able to manipulate your 330 day period to get a partial credit. The 330 days do not have to be in the same year, you can use a rolling 330 day period.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA