Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/form 709 for child's 529 account

Question
My husband and I are filling out a form 709 for the first time, as in 2012 we "gifted" $105,000 to our daughter's 529 account.  I am confused about whether or not we should split this gift, and if we do, then under Schedule A Part 1 am I simply writing the exact same information twice (once for myself and once under gifts made by spouse)?  Additionally, what do I put in column D, donor's adjusted basis of gift?

Thank you!

Answer
Christina,

Thanks for your question.

If you split the gift, you accomplish two things.  First, you will have a lower "taxable gift."  I realize this is below the threshold for having to pay gift tax, but it preserves a larger amount for lifetime use for gift and estate tax purposes.  Second, and related, it spreads out the remaining lifetime exemption between both of you. it is highly unlikely that you will use all of your lifetime exemption, but better be safe than sorry.  I realize some of the above may be confusing to you, but it would be too long to explain it all in detail.  You can ask a follow up regarding anything you don't understand.

Assuming you placed cash in the account, your adjusted basis is the amount of cash you deposited.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA