Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/home generator deduction

Question
We live in Ohio where we had a horrible storm on June 29th,2012.  As a result, our home generator blew up and we replaced it with a new 20000 kw home generator.  Can we deduct any of the cost of the mew generator?  The insurance company did not pay us for the loss.

Answer
Judy,

Thanks for your question.

Probably not.  If the generator did not blow up due to the storm it is not deductible.  If it was storm related (that is, the storm caused the damage.  Not that it wore out and blew up)  it would be a casualty loss on Schedule A - Itemized Deductions.  Unfortunately, you must deduct $100 from the loss, then deduct 10% of your adjusted gross income. Any remaining loss would be deductible.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA