Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/HSA over-contribution

Question
I was self-employed for the first 9 most of 2012 and contributed the max $6,250 to my personally managed HSA.  I then took a full-time job in late Oct and selected a high deductible health insurance plan with an HSA feature.  I forgot about the fed max and started contributing to that plan, as did my employer match a little bit.  

After entering my W2 info and HSA info into Turbotax, it is telling me I have an excess contribution and need to take action to avoid some kind of penalty. The over-contribution is about $450.  What's the best remedy here? Got any suggestions?

Answer
Trey,

Thanks for your question.  There are only two remedies, leave the excess in or take it out.

You need to contact your plan administrator and inform them that you have made excess contributions.  If this is done by the due date of your return, it will not be an issue.  They will refund the excess contribution, along with any earning on that portion of your account balance.  The earnings paid to you will be taxable on your 2012 return.

If the excess is not withdrawn by the due date of the return, there is a penalty of 6% of the amount of the excess contribution.  This penalty is levied every year until the excess is withdrawn.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA