Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Inquiry


I've lived in Mexico all my life, but I was born in the US, so I am a US citizen. I don't have a Social Security Number. I pay taxes here in Mexico and have an annual income under 50,000 USD. I spent about 350 USD in rent every month. It was recently pointed out to me that I should be filing my income to the IRS. How should I proceed?

Dear Hector,

This is true, as a U.S. citizen by birth you are required to file U.S. income tax return (see

You will not have to pay any U.S. tax because your income will be excluded through the Foreign Earned income exclusion - however, the requirement to file is still in force.

Of course, you should first contact U.S. embassy and apply for Social Security number.

Hope this helps,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]