Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Irrevocable trust - expenses from income or capital?

Question

I have just been named the trustee of an irrevocable trust my mother set up for my brother.  The trust is required to distribute all income to my brother.  One of the gifts my mother gave the trust was a house she owned.  This house is not rented and we do not have any plans to rent it.  It is not for sale and we do not have any plans to sell it.  It is just a house that the trust owns.  

There are some expenses associated with the house.  Those are mainly property taxes and utility bills, though there may be others.  My question is, when the trust pays the bills associated with the house, does the money come out of income that the trust receives for other investments or from capital that is not invested?

My guess is that the property taxes would come out of income because I think those can be deducted on form 1041?  But what about other expenses like the utilities or any repair costs?  Would that come out of capital or income?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Answer
Fay,

Thanks for your question.  As you may have discovered, there is not much that is "black and white" in the area of trust taxation.

In your case, expenses are paid based on the terms of the trust.  If the trust does not make any specification in this regard, state law applies.

I would remind you that not necessarily all the amounts paid would be deductible for tax purposes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA