Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Like-Kind-Exchange

Last December we exchanged a vehicle we had bought in 2005 which was used about 50% in our business. We were given $1000.00 for the old vehicle which was applied to the purchase of the newer one. Do I need to do a Like-kind-exchange? We use Turbo Tax for our small business and they are asking if there was a trade in and asking 'cash, or loan amount, paid with trade-in' not at all sure what this means. I'm getting the impression if one trades one vehicle for another we have to do the like-kind or the $1,000.00 will have to be declared as income. (We have always done the mileage deduction)  Thank you

Thanks for your question.

If you received the $1,000 in cash you do not have a like kind exchange, but a sale of your asset.  You would subtract 1/2 of your adjusted basis (representing the business portion) from $500 to determine your gain or loss on the business portion.  Basis would need to be adjusted based on the mileage previously claimed.  The $500 applicable to the personal portion would not be of consequence, as the personal portion has its original cost as basis and a loss on a personal use asset is not deductible.

If you received it as a trade-in allowance, you would apply 1/2 of the adjusted basis of the old to the new vehicle plus 1/2 of the purchase price to determine the basis in the new vehicle.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University