Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/lease-option

Question
I would like to know my tax ramification upon the sale of my home which is lease-optioned for 2 years.
I have lived in the home since 1995, now I am having someone lease it for 2 years before we close on the sale in 2015. The sale price is (and will be) $132,000 and I will have a balance of $58,000 when we close in two years.  I will see a gain of $74,000.  Will I be taxed on that gain as if it were an investment property because of the lease-option?  I have worked for that equity while I lived here as my primary residence....except for the 2 years of course.  So what is my tax ramification on the gain at closing?
Thanks, Rob

Answer
Rob,

Thanks for your question.

A lot depends on the terms of the lease/purchase option but since you will be leasing it for two years, you still fall within the requirements that you live in the house for two years of the most recent five year period.  However, you will have to pro-rate the amount of exclusion based upon the time it was a principal residence and the time is was a rental unit.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA