Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Must we depreciate immediately

Question
A friend purchased a tractor-truck for $138,000 and a flatbed trailer for $43,000.  He is an owner-operator driver. When we write off all his expenses, plus depreciate (MACRS 200DB) the truck and trailer his AGI is (-13,211).  Does he have to depreciate this equipment this year (2012) or can he wait until next year to start depreciation?  (Or maybe we're doing something wrong....) Bottom line, it is eating-away his refund!!

Answer
Linda,

Thanks for your question.

The IRS will reduce your basis in depreciable assets for depreciation allowed or allowable.  In plain English, that means that they will treat the asset as though you took depreciation on it, whether you did or not, so it's better to go ahead and deduct depreciation in the year it is allowed.  

You might want to look at the ADS depreciation system instead of MACRS.  It allows a longer class life.  However, once you start with ADS on an asset you cannot change it to MACRS.

Hope this helps.  

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA