Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Pension

Question
QUESTION: Hi John,  About mid year 2012 I started to receive a monthly pension from my ex's work pension (as per divorce).
Where on the 1040 tax form would I report this?

Many Thanks!
Terry

ANSWER: Terry,

Thanks for your question.

Line 16a and b "Pensions and annuities."  "a" is for the total amount, "b" for the taxable amount.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Ok thanks for the reply! So what would be the "b" taxable amount"?  There are already taxes taken out per monthly distribution. Could you please explain further?

Thank you
Terry

Answer
The 1099-R should indicate the taxable amount in box @A.  If not amount is entered, it is likely fully taxable.  If box is checked "taxable amount not determined," you should check with the pension administrator or your ex.

Taxes that are withheld monthly have noting to do with this.  Those are like withholding on your W-2 and must be shown on line 62 of the 1040.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA