Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Primary residence turned rental: Repairs/

Question
We live in FL.  
We are moving and will be converting our current primary residence into a rental unit.  The home needs a little TLC:  New floors in one room and painting.

When can this work be done and considered repairs on the rental (for taxes) and not just 'home improvements'.

Do we need to have closed on the new home? Signed a management agreement with a property manger? We would like these costs to be against the rental, but want to minimize the time the home is vacant.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Carolyn

Answer
Carolyn,

Thanks for your question.

The repairs can be counted against the rental once it is no longer your residence.  However, some of the items you mentioned are considered improvements rather than repairs.  An improvement must be capitalized and depreciated over it's useful life.  This article is a good overview of the diference.  http://landlords.about.com/od/TaxTips/a/Improvements-Vs-Repairs.htm. So the improvements add to your basis in the house.

I would also add that, in depreciating the house for tax purposes, your basis is the fair market value at the time it becomes a rental or your cost basis, whichever is lower.  Be sure to subtract out the value of the land, as it is not depreciable.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA