Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Property tax exempt

Question
Our church going to rent the pastoralo house to the members of the church for $500.00 and the property have a mortgage payment of 2,100.00 monthly. We can loose the tax exempt? where I founded that information?

Thanks...

Rev. Centeno

Answer
Miguel,

You won't lose your tax exemption, but you might have to pay tax on the income.  There is an exception in Code Sec 514 that allows allows you to avoid paying tax on debt financed income.  Basically, you must have a definite plan to use to property for exempt purposes within 15 years and inform the IRS of your plan within 90 days before the end of the fifth year.

Of course, the other point is that you are probably not making any money on the rental, so there would be no income to report.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA