Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/S-Corp Officer Compensation when shareholder has no involvement

QUESTION: S-Corp Officer Compensation when husband is 100% shareholder and also and officer, and wife is an officer/employee/manager

So I am 100% shareholder of my S-Corp with little involvement as I have a full-time job in another entity but is listed as an officer of the company. My wife owns 0% shares but is the active manager, employee, and officer of the company. My wife receipt payroll and payroll taxes are deducted. We file a joint tax return.

1. Since my wife is already receiving compensation through payroll as an officer, do I still have to pay myself compensation through payroll as well? Especially when we file a joint tax return, so we are in a way paying payroll tax as a joint tax filer and officer of an S-Corp.

2. If the current structure doesn't work and could be of issue to the IRS, could I then just make her a 2% owner so that we can check the box on paying payroll tax to 2% shareholders/officers?  Currently that box of compensation to 2% shareholder is blank and I am a bit afraid of what the IRS will think, but the truth is I (100%) shareholder have no involvement and the 0% shareholder officer (my wife) runs the business full time.

Thanks for your question.

Since you are not an employee of the corporation you do not have to pay yourself a salary.  I don't think you have any concerns in this regard.

However, under the family attribution rules, your stock ownership is attributed to your wife, so you should check the 2% box.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University