Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Sale of rental property

Question
My husband and I sold our rent house in March of 2012. Will we get a tax document in the mail like a 1099 or 1098 or something like that showing what I need to enter when I do our taxes? Like for the capital gains???

Answer
Jody,

Thanks for your question.

You should get a 1099-S.  It will be reported on Form 4797. A rental is not classified as  investment property, therefore it is not a capital gain/loss.  If you did sell at a gain, the gain is you sale price minus cost of the sale minus the adjusted basis.  Adjusted basis is the original cost plus capital improvements minus any depreciation allowed or allowable.

In addition, there will be a depreciation recapture on any of the gain represented by depreciation allowed or allowable. This receives special tax treatment.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA