Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Small Part Time Job

I had 2 jobs last year, one where I earned about 30K and the other where I earned about 6K.

When doing my taxes on Turbo Tax I put in W2 information for the job where I earned 30K first and it showed that I was entitled to a 1300 refund from the federal government and owed the state government $500.

Next when I put in W2 information for my 2nd job it showed that my federal return was now just $400 and that I owed that state $1100 (at this point I stopped filing and turned to the internet to do some research) At my second job I only work one day a week and they did not withhold any state taxes.

If I dont declare my part time job will the IRS audit me? Is there anything I can do as I dont have an extra $700 to pay the state. Also can I fill out a W4 to stop this from happening next year.

Thanks for your question.

The IRS and state government have copies of your W-2.  You won't get an audit, you'll get a letter with a bill for the taxes, penalties, and interest.

Not reporting all your income is fraudulent.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University