Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/tax

Question
My wife and I each have two part time jobs and each of us earn about 25k per year. We have one child. In general if we file separately how would it affect our tax situation?

Answer
Al,

Thanks for your question.

Filing separately would not allow you to take a credit for education expenses and the deduction for student loan interest.  In addition, you would probably not be able to take the child care credit and your child tax credit might be reduced.

Both of you would have to either itemize or take the standard deduction.  Generally your tax rate would be higher.

Bottom line, in most cases the total tax liability would be increased.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA