Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Time to Receive Tax Docs

Question
Hello,

I have received all of my tax documents from those who have paid me this year by January 31st.  All except one.  I thought that companies are required to give you your 1099 tax documents by January 31st so that you can take care of your taxes and file them.

Are companies required to provide your docs by January 31st?  In this case I am a contractor.

Thank you

Answer
Kee,

Yes and no.  Most documents are required to be given to the recipient by Jan 31.  This includes Forms 1099.  However, due to the late changes in the tax law, many companies are late in distributing them.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA