Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tuition and Fees Deduction

Question
I can take either the tuition and fees deduction or the Lifetime Learning credit on the federal return.  My question is if I take the tuition and fees deduction on the federal return, do I also get that on the KY return or do I have to add back that amount on the schedule M?  I'm not sure because if I take the Lifetime learning credit on the federal return, I wouldn't qualify for an education credit on the KY return since it is for graduate studies.  But if I start with federal adjusted gross income then the tuition and fees deduction would be in that figure.

Answer
Vanessa,

Thanks for your question.  

I did not know the answer and my research did not show any prohibition of this, so I checked with a practitioner in Kentucky. She agreed with my assessment. You can take the tuition and fees deduction and not back it out for Kentucky.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA