Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tuition and Fees Deduction

I can take either the tuition and fees deduction or the Lifetime Learning credit on the federal return.  My question is if I take the tuition and fees deduction on the federal return, do I also get that on the KY return or do I have to add back that amount on the schedule M?  I'm not sure because if I take the Lifetime learning credit on the federal return, I wouldn't qualify for an education credit on the KY return since it is for graduate studies.  But if I start with federal adjusted gross income then the tuition and fees deduction would be in that figure.

Thanks for your question.  

I did not know the answer and my research did not show any prohibition of this, so I checked with a practitioner in Kentucky. She agreed with my assessment. You can take the tuition and fees deduction and not back it out for Kentucky.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University