Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/U.S. Tax Consequences

My wife and I have two accounts with the same brokerage. I account is a Joint Account with Right of Survivorship with my wife's SS#. The other account is a revocable family trust account with both of us named as joint trustors/trustees with my SS#.

We wish to transfer all stocks and cash in the JTWROS account to our family trust account. We are told we will not incur any U.S. taxes by one broker but another broker has said the transaction will incur a 1099B being sent to us. What is correct and will we incur any tax consequences? Thank you.

Thank for your question.

It depends on how it is handled. If it is simply a transfer of the same stocks to a new brokerage account, it should not generate any tax consequences.

However, if they treat it as a sale of the stocks, then a 1099-B would be generated and you would have tax on the gain.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University