Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/U.S. Tax Consequences

Question
My wife and I have two accounts with the same brokerage. I account is a Joint Account with Right of Survivorship with my wife's SS#. The other account is a revocable family trust account with both of us named as joint trustors/trustees with my SS#.

We wish to transfer all stocks and cash in the JTWROS account to our family trust account. We are told we will not incur any U.S. taxes by one broker but another broker has said the transaction will incur a 1099B being sent to us. What is correct and will we incur any tax consequences? Thank you.

Answer
Frank,

Thank for your question.

It depends on how it is handled. If it is simply a transfer of the same stocks to a new brokerage account, it should not generate any tax consequences.

However, if they treat it as a sale of the stocks, then a 1099-B would be generated and you would have tax on the gain.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA