Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Wrongful termination

Question
I have a question on wrongful termination.  I've received a settlement which was mediated.  There was a payment made to me for a non wage settlement.  Another payment made directly to my attorney.  My question is this.  The portion that I received was reported to me in box 7 of form 1099.  I understand that it is subject to income tax but I was under the impression that there would be no social security and medicare tax due.  I was told by a friend that anything in box 7 and the IRS would want Social security tax on it.  Is there something in the code that addresses this.  Thanks so much.

Kevin Wenger

Answer
Kevin,

Thanks for your question.

The amount probably should have been placed in box 3, but it wasn't.  Show it on line 21 of the 1040 (other income) and don't pay the self-employment tax, just the income tax.  If the IRS inquires, explain that it is a wrongful termination award, which is not subject to SS or self-employment taxes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA