Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Church tax withholding for Musician planner fees

Question
We are a small church and charge fees for performing weddings and funerals. Is the church responsible for tax withholding for the fees that will go to the musician, planner or sound technician if one check is made to the church and we distribute to them?

Answer
Robert,

Thanks for your question.

It depends.  If those individuals are employees of the church, then the amounts would be included on their respective W-2's.  

If they are not church employees, you do not have to withhold, but you must issue them a 1099-MISC if you pay them $600 or more in a given year.

The simple solution is to have the responsible parties make the payment directly to the individual.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA